Monday, January 5, 2009

Twelfth Night.... or, What You Will

Tomorrow being 6 January will be twelfth night by which time, the story has it, all Christmas decorations should be taken down otherwise bad luck will befall you!

I included the title What You Will since this was the alternative title given to this classic William Shakespeare play.  Like many of his plays this one centres around mistaken identity.  imageI remember one of the characters, a pompous steward named Malvolio.  This was only because when I was at school I played this character and loved wearing the outlandishly brightly coloured knee high socks.  Malvolio thought they were very fetching! 

However, the play has also garnered much critical attention for its nuanced and sometimes elusive treatment of issues of gender, ambition, and love.  There was a lot of cross dressing but we move on swiftly!

Going back to the start of this post I do mention that in UK it is the latest date by which you are supposed to take down the tree and remove any Christmas decorations.  We did this over the weekend and it is lovely to get the house back to normal.

Another description of Twelfth Night is Epiphany Eve which some areas of Christianity celebrate the conclusion of the twelve days of Christmas.  In some countries the Epiphany or Adoration of the Magi is marked by the exchange of gifts the this night takes on the same relevance as Christmas Eve.  In modern times food and drink are consumed heartily (when are they not?) with traditions going way back.  For instance in UK a punch called the Wassail was consumed particularly on this date as well as throughout the Christmas period.  Indeed some catholic countries this time marks the start of the carnival season which lasts right through to Mardis Gras Day!

Searching through the BBEST team for items to cheer us up I came across this beautiful suncatcher from Diana's Stained Glass

image

Peace Dove Ornament-Suncatcher

A reminder in some of our troubled times when the peace dove can be welcomed into our homes.

 

Do you have 'thank you' notes to send?  Why not take a look at these lovely ones...

image

Thank you Notecards - A play on patterns in blue and tan, set of 4

by Green Willow

 

 

I could not ignore this listing, could I?  The butterfly is one of my favourites so I just had to include it!
image 

Yellow Butterfly Ornament

by Talking Dog

 

 

 

And so, my friends, in my first post of 2009 to our team blog I have covered a wee bit of history, legend, drama along with some offerings to show off our very talented team!  May 2009 be kind to us all!!!!

15 comments:

Nuvofelt said...

Indeed yes, may 2009 be very kind to us all! Thanks Pat.

Kim Caro said...

aw-- pretty finds. I never heard that one, about bad luck :) I had my tree up so-- long for hanging my goods on that i took it down on Christmas day. it has been in my back car seat since. I like to recycle my fake mini trees cause i hate storing things :) its going back to the thrift store that i bought it for $5 bucks from in sept.

and back to it i will go.

Pam said...

Wonderful post, Pat! I so enjoy learning more about traditions and history. I find myself under great pressure, however, to undecorate the tree, and get all the other items put away before midnight tonight! Thanks for the heads up! Great job!

joon said...

Love being reminded what a fate temptress I am! I wouldn't think of taking down my tree by tomorrow. I once had my tree up past Valentine's Day. It was the only thing I had that year in a bare apartment. To this day when I see photos of it, it reminds me of my inner strength that I lose sight of too often. Thanks for another great post, Pat. Really love your art showcase, too. Here's to 2009 ~ Another BBEST year!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Great post, Pat!! Lovely items you shared! Here is to a wonderful 2009 for all of us!!

Linda B said...

I didn't know there was a Boomers team. Where is it?

Anonymous said...

Nice post Pat. Thanks.

Beth said...

Great post. I didn't know that was when the tree was supposed to come down. I also love Twelfth Night so it was fun reading about it in your post.

Great items too!

Jean Levert Hood said...

I wish some folks would adhere to the rule as to when to take the tree down!!!!! February is toooo late! Lovely selections here. What talent we have in our great group!

jstinson said...

If you are in progress by Jan 6, does that exempt one? Doubt it will all be taken down by then but we are trying. Enjoyed your post!

The Filigree Garden said...

Interesting to read these traditions. I remember them vaguely from childhood, but the meanings got lost over time.

Chauncey said...

Wow, and I took my decorations down just because I was tired of looking at them... who knew I was following rules.

Julie said...

Oh, now I am in love with Talking Dog's ornaments. Thank you for sharing these great finds!

Jaclyn Gray Designs said...

Thanks for posting the dove...we should all have one of those on our window, and keep the image of it in our hearts and heads. Peace!

AltheaP said...

I think it's a Lutheran custom not to take down the tree until Epiphany -- at least that's why I always thought I did it. It's still so lovely to sit in the dark and watch the tree, especially now that everything's quieted down again.