Friday, March 6, 2009

Meet The Boomer!

This week I am pleased to introduce to you, Rose, from birose!

1. What is/are the name of your shop/s?
I have two etsy shops, Big Island Rose Designs birose and SaRoMaSa.

2. What kind of items do you sell?
Big Island Rose Designs is a mixture of items from my Mr.. Froggie beanbag to my tie and yoyo necklace, it is a wide range of fun and lovely items. SaRoMaSa is fairly new and currently only has a few patterns but the plan is to fill it with supplies for crafters and collage artists along with my own collage work.

il_430xN.10893332

3. How long have you been engaged in your art/craft?
Since I can remember some 60+ years.

4. Do you consider yourself a hobbyist or a professional craftsperson?
I am a professional craftsperson and an artist.

5. What inspires you?
Inspiration comes from all over. It may be friends saying “why don’t you”, it may be seeing an item and finding a way to put my own spin on it, it may come as I’m just doodling or looking at my supplies. Magazines, books, all kinds of things influence me.

il_430xN.20383916

6. Please share with us what a typical day is like in your workshop or studio?
I don’t know that I actually have a typical day, I work full time away from home so my time is limited but I try and make use of time riding on the bus maybe just to doodle, or write out an idea for a blog, or try and do a gesture sketch of people on the bus, or even just catch up on my sleep. When I get really into something I will go with less food and sleep until I’m finished. I lose track of time when I’m working on my craft or art.

7. What keeps you company while you’re working on a project?
Just myself, my mind.

8. What is your favorite 'task' related to your art/craft?
Well I’m more of a starter than a finisher so I guess my favorite task is the beginning process, the designing.

9. What is your least favorite 'task' related to your art/craft?
Finishing, all though I enjoy the final product I am generally ready to move on to another idea before I get what I’m currently working on finished. Plus I enjoy the process of making something so I guess I’m a little reluctant to see it end.

il_430xN.12312137

10. What are some of the venues you use to promote your shop/ware?(Do you blog?)
I’ve tried various things, twitter, facebook, flickr, etc. but again because of limited time I’m not very good at keeping up on them. I do blog and am trying to get up to a least one new post a week. I’m also trying to tweet and upload photos to flickr regularly. I visit the forums and treasuries.
(To which teams do you belong? Do you use other sites? Which ones? etc.)
I currently am active with the BBEST team, I belong to Cast team, and a couple of others but I haven’t been giving much time to them. We are starting up a collage team. I like to do the Official Creative Challenge but haven’t been actively participating lately.

11. Related to your craft,tell us about a funny, strange or unusual situation you found yourself in.
The only thing I can think of right now is one time I was making a friendship quilt for my daughter and her coworkers to give to the owner’s mother. They had some specific items to put in the quilt (squares that they had painted) and a large one of the restaurants logo which was a purple octopus. I had it all planned except for the center, just didn’t know how to do it. And of course I was working on a very limited time constraint. One day my daughter called and asked it everything was okay because she had dreamed that I sent her the quilt but the center was missing and she was trying to scramble around and find someone who could help her. I laughed and said that I was having trouble working out the center. I did finally come up with an arrangement that worked and the quilt was a big hit. So big that it is hanging at the front of the restaurant enclosed in plexi-glass.

il_430xN.31916815

12. Tell us something about you that we wouldn’t necessarily know by talking with you in the forums.
I am a fairly serious person who likes to make people laugh.

13. What’s your favorite book and why, favorite movie and why, favorite kind of music?
Favorite book, I have so many it would be hard to pick just one except the Bible. I do have favorite authors. Favorite movie, again I can’t just pick one but I do love the Hallmark movies. Favorite kind of music would be Christian, Hawaiian, and Country.

il_430xN.15260149

14. Would you care to share any 'words of wisdom' with other aspiring artists or crafters?
Enjoy the process, remember to breathe, experiment, encourage others.

 

 

 

Please leave comments for our member! I’m sure she would love to hear from you!!

10 comments:

Judy Nolan said...

I'm so glad to have learned a little bit more about you, Rose!

Kary said...

inspirational! what a lovely article on Rose!

On a Whimsey said...

What a lovely post about one of our favourite team members! Great to find out new titbits we didn't know!!!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Great interview, Rose!! Thank you for sharing a bit of yourself with us.

Chauncey said...

Ohhh so nice to learn more about you, Rose!!

joon said...

Wonderful to see you here, Rose. So happy you are on our team. You are brighter and lovelier than all your creations put together and that is saying something. Thank you! ox joonie

Diane ~ said...

Hi Rose! I really enjoyed learning more about you!! :)Thanks for sharing!!! ♥ diane

Jean Levert Hood said...

Very lovely about Rose!! I love the Hallmark movies, too, I know I'll see a happy ending!! Great job!

Pam said...

Rose,
I loved learning more about you and how you do your work. Your creations are always so interesting and colorful and unique. Thanks for sharing about yourself and your creations.

jstinson said...

Rose, I so enjoyed this well deserved blog featuring your thoughts and wonderful work! What you can do with something as simple as a button continues to amaze me! I wish you continued success with your art and craft!