Monday, March 16, 2009

Chocolate Cake, Sally, Facebook, Boomers!

I was just taking the homemade chocolate mayonnaise cake from the oven when I heard the doorbell. Setting the cake on the rack to begin cooling, I then hurried to the door.

“Sally!” I beamed. “Come in! You are just in time to frost the cake when it cools!”

“Oh, it smells delicious!” exclaimed Sally. “I don’t know if I can wait.....maybe we will just eat it warm without the frosting,” she drooled.

I laughed. “You know, one of my Boomer friends thinks you like chocolate cake more than looking at the things they make!” I said. "But, you know what I said? They love chocolate just as much as you do! Come sit down here by the computer. I want to show you my Facebook page.”

“What in the world is Facebook?” asked Sally.

“Oh, my goodness!” I replied. “It is a way to connect with almost anyone you know. And what fun it is, too,” I continued. “You remember I told you I had taught elementary school for 32 years and been a principal for the next four years of my career?” I asked.

Sally answered, “Yes, and you said the last 34 of those years were at the same school.”

“Yes,” I replied. “And guess what? I have had such fun connecting with so many of my former students! It is great to see them all grown up and to see their children. And to learn about their careers and just to chat with them. One of my former students just arrived in Afghanistan a few weeks ago. Another is a landscape architect. One is a doctor who just today posted that he was caring for his baby for the first time alone and hoped she didn’t have a poopy diaper! I just laughed at that and commented on his page that our son had thought that, too, but that he is an expert now at the poopy diaper thing!! Some are stay at home moms. One just got a new job. It is amazing what everyone is doing. And you connect with one, then another, and it is just really exciting!”

“That sure sounds as if you are enjoying chatting with your former students,” Sally said. “What about your Boomers and Beyond friends? Are any of them using Facebook?” asked Sally.

“I know a few who are. And I expect there will be lots more join Facebook. It is free, of course, and it is a great way to spread the word about your own Etsy shop and to connect with members of your team outside of Etsy chat. And, there is another venue called Twitter where teams list their items, and somehow what goes on one gets to the other. That will have to be a whole topic for another time because I sure haven’t figured it out yet! But, for now, let’s look at a few I know who are on Facebook and also some others that you maybe haven’t seen before,” I suggested.

“Okay,” said Sally, “But, why don’t we stop and frost that cake first? Then, we can eat and look and look and eat........:

“Sounds good to me,” I laughed. We did, sat back down, and sighed with pleasure at that first bite of cake and marveled at these gorgeous creations from our Boomers and Beyond team!







Night Sky Jewelry
Salt Lake City, Utah








Indian Princess Nacczari Turquoise and Black
Onyx Earrings






SixSisters

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Facebook





Sunset Dove







One Dog Talking
Raleigh, North Carolina







Floppy Cotton Frog Hat












Zuda Gay
Central Illinois

Facebook







Misty Spring Morning
Flower Focal









Ghi-Goo-ie Designs
Omaha, Nebraska







Native American Tribute
to the Eagle Earrings











Beth Peardon Prods
Boston, Massachusetts
Facebook





Pink Daisy
Original Photo









In a Lather
Indianapolis, Indiana





Rosemary Mint Shampoo









Gimme Beads
Waynesboro, Georgia






Something Pink











Fehustoneware
Denver, Colorado






Stoneware Carmel Wave Mug










Nonnies Treasures
Danville, Pennsylvania






Sophisticated Lady

6 comments:

Chauncey said...

Pam I wished I could stop by someones house just as a chocolate cake was coming out of the oven!

Wonderful collection of featured items.

Anonymous said...

Pam I will have a slice of that cake too. Nice blog
about facebook. Thanks for including my dove
painting.

Judy Nolan said...

That Sally sure likes her chocolate! Thanks for sharing how Facebook works.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Lovely pieces!! That stained glass piece by Noni is amazing!

Kim said...

Pam, great blog post...ahhhh chocolate cake!!!!

Night Sky said...

As always, I'm slow catching up with you guys, but I just read this blog post. My mouth is now watering for chocolate cake!!

Thank you for showing off my turquoise earrings!