Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Barbie Turns 50! What Else Happened 50 Years Ago??


Looks pretty darned good for 50, huh?


Dear readers, Our team has some terrific blog authors. My strength doesn’t lie in fabulously informative posts with excellent research. I’m not particularly clever enough to come up with great guessing blog posts and sadly…. I don’t have a friend named Sally, who quite frankly, seems just as interested in all that cake as she does finding out about our team. No, what I have is useless information and I am chock full of it….. so walk with me….



Did you know that this year marks the 50th anniversary of the release of Pillow Talk? The movie with Rock Hudon and Doris Day. She played a sassy and successful interior designer. I bet she would have found just the spot for these.




***************

from our favorite Island Girl, Birose
Hawaii became the 50th state in the US


******************

TV show, Juke Box Jury, started its long run on the BBC. If you have a minute (or 6) check out this clip on YouTube. A very young David McCallum is a judge. And yes the video is from 1960 and not 1959 but still….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3y-wNnh3g0


******************

from Mel
NBC launched the TV show, Bonanza

*****************

NASA announced the selection of America’s first seven astronauts for the US first orbital flight in 1962 under the Mercury program: Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard and Donald Slayton.


from Debs


******************
"Charlie Brown" by The Coasters was banned by the BBC because it contained the word "spitball." Haha, How crazy is that when you think about the language in music today?

Coasters, get it???
******************
So there you have it... that was 1959! Wouldn't it be great to get together again in 2059 and chat about this year??
Have fun, Life is good!

21 comments:

Chrissie said...

Had great fun reading this Chauncey!

Yankeegirl said...

LOL!!! Loved this!! Don't sell yourself short as a writer, Chauncey!! Loved the coaster connection!

Beth said...

This was a fun post. Thanks Chauncey.

Nuvofelt said...

LOL, what a good year that was! I bet there are some good boomers of the same vintage out there too......

Great post, Chauncey.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Great post, Chauncey!! I so enjoyed it! I got stuck in Juke Box Jury for a while. Love David McCallum!

joon said...

Chaunce, this is fabulous. I'm so glad you are a contributing blog author. You do not know how talented you are. Hope we're all convincing you. ox joonie

joon said...

ps. I didn't think Barbie could get any scarier. Who knew?

On a Whimsey said...

What a fabby post!!! Great topic (very scary!!) and a wonderful view of collages and pictures to illustrate.

Dena said...

WOW, Chauncey, This is a GREAT blog post. I enjoyed every bit of it sooooo much!! Brought back lots of good memories.

FabricFascination said...

Love it!

Where did you ever get that barbie?

Judy Nolan said...

This post is just fun, Fun, FUN! I love how everyone's personality shines through all of the blog posts, so as someone else said, "Don't sell yourself short!" Thanks for including my coasters, spitball and all. Hehe!

debsmuddle said...

Great idea.well done.Thanks for including my 'Space' wallhanging

Anonymous said...

Chauncey this is sooo cool ! ( very 50's expression )
I love the way you fit everyones work in with the
theme. Great job.
Barbie needs a rest for sure ! LOL

AltheaP said...

This is freakin' psychedelic, man!de

The Filigree Garden said...

What a fun post! Barbie and I only have one thing in common and that's our birth year, 1959. There, your post has made me admit my age in public! LOL

Kate Ladd Art said...

That's a fun blog, what a lot of things happened in 1959! I remember it well!! Thanks for including my painting, I'm sure Doris Day would'v loved it, LOL.

blazingneedles said...

This was FUN to to read!! Thanks for including my coasters.

Chauncey said...

Thanks friends!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Very fun, Chauncey! Thank you for including one of my watercolors on this piece!!

Pam said...

This was so much fun, Chauncey! Loved all the Boomers and Beyond art that you displayed to go along with your theme. And, hey, how about that Barbie? We should all look so good!

Truly, Sally really is interested in ALL Boomers and shares their huge interest in chocolate as well!

Anonymous said...

After 50 years Barbie is still in great shape; how does she do it?