Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Snow ,snowmen,snowangels,snowflakes and other fun facts





1. I am sure you have heard the urban legend that Eskimos have over a thousand words for snow. I found out by reading about snow that they actually have more words for ice. The Eskimo-Aleut language does tend to be precise. It makes sense when you think that they make their living and get their food by hunting on the ice. They need to know where bad spots are and thickness and thinness of ice. It is an important safety issue, too.

2. Let It Snow is one of the most overplayed songs during the holiday season. Do we really need to hear it so many times? Probably not. Once is enough for me but I am sure there are many people who love hearing it over and over.

3. The place that has the most snow in the world is Mt. Baker, WA with 1140 inches last year. The snowiest city is Valdez, AK with 326 inches of snow last year.

4. Guiness - Most snow angels. London Dist. Catholic School Board. On Feb. 2, 2004 there were 15,851 snow angels made in Ontario Canada. Wow, that is a lot of snow angels!

5. No collection of snow art could be considered complete without a nod to the world’s largest snowman – that figure emblematic of snow art and sculpture around the world. 13,000,000 pounds of snow towered an epic 114 feet tall. Skis, tires and other preposterously large objects were needed to add eyelashes, a mouth and other essential features (in place of the traditional coal-and-carrot combination).

6. Snow flakes are one of the most fascinating things to look at. It boggles the mind to think of all of the different designs that exist. I hope you enjoyed my little facts and pictures about snow.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

11 comments:

jstinson said...

Fun fact filled blog. Though I detest snow, I enjoyed this! You always find great topics and cover them so well.

Unknown said...

Well the snowy seasons are almost upon us - and for some I guess they are here already! Great post Six! I loved your snowy pictures all these snow facts, especially the huge snowman. I hope we get some snow this year down my way - but not too much and not too soon! :)

Chauncey said...

six, this was a great idea for a post. Loved the fun snowy facts. Much rather read about it than shovel it.

Yankeegirl said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Six! And to all of my bbest friends!!

Love this feature and uh.....I love snow (she says whispering).

Pamela Baker said...

Loved your Blog! We learn something new everyday.
I couldn't imagine having that much snow to make the snowman!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Wonderful fact filled post, Six!! Thank you for your research! I love snow...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....

Pam said...

Great blog post, Joanie! Loved it. So interesting. The photos are terrific as well. Have a happy Thanksgiving Day!

The Filigree Garden said...

What a snowman! Do you know where that picture was taken?

Tessa said...

Interesting post and I like the snowman!

Anonymous said...

Liv , that snowman was in Maine.

Jill said...

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!! I love this post.