Monday, October 13, 2008

Variations on Pandora


One of BBEST Team's greatest membership perks, to me, is the sharing that happens every day. I love to learn. The weekly chat thread is an encyclopedic cache unmatched by any other. Not even we know what subject will spring forth at any moment and lead to yet another and another. And speaking of one thing leading to another...

We talk about music a lot on the thread. This week, I shared a website called Pandora. You can read more about it on Wikipedia but, in short: it is an automated music recommendation and internet radio service created by the music genome project. Users enter a song or artist that they enjoy, and the service responds by playing selections that are musically similar. Users provide feedback on the individual song choices — approval or disapproval — which Pandora takes into account for future selections. For example, I have John Denver, Josh Groban and Hans Zimmer stations. It's very cool and exposes you to many new artists. {And searching Wikipedia for Pandora also led to the Pandora as a myth entry ~ another fascinating read.}

So, one thing leading to another, yet again, I did an etsy BBEST search for Pandora and found the beautiful lampwork bead seen above by our own Susan Lambert. It seems there are bracelets called Pandora? Live and Learn.

Then I decided to try a Pandora only search. Wow! Too much information! So I narrowed it down to the vintage category and found this groovy old box and both the shop, dahlilafound , and the owner's profile are delightful, so I share them with you.




Lastly, as my Pandora is a music based find, I did a 'BBEST music' search and found this that I adore in BethPeardonProds along with many more lovely items.




Etsy is sometimes too much fun. Is that possible? I think not. And so, my sharing friends, I thank you and please feel free to leave a comment with a nifty find of your own. I learned on WIKI that the pandora site is currently no longer available outside of the US so perhaps one of you knows of a similar site to share with our international members. I hope so.

12 comments:

Judy Nolan said...

I had never heard of the music genome site until I heard about Pandora on the BBEST thread. How fascinating! Thanks for sharing this information with all of us, Joon.

Beth said...

I've never heard of Pandora but will certainly check it out. Thanks so much for using my image also

Rose said...

I love Pandora and have two stations there.. hmm outside the US? maybe last.fm??

Chauncey said...

thanks for sharing Joonie! Great post!

The Filigree Garden said...

Thanks for introducing Pandora to us (and thank Scout). I am enjoying finding new music through it.

AltheaP said...

Great post, Ms. Joon!

Anonymous said...

Joonie how great this blog is. So informative and
finding Susan'seimz bracelet too. Love the photos and
how your mind works. Thanks.

On a Whimsey said...

Ah Pandora's Box.... a wonderful 'old' film which is reviewed here http://homevideo.about.com/od/dvdre5/fr/PandorasBoxDFRa.htm There was another film which was shot later but still considered an oldie goldie which for the life of me, I can't remember who played in it although I see it!
Great post.

Nuvofelt said...

What a great post. Wish we had Pandora in the UK :(

Pamela Baker said...

Joon, what a great article, love the way you describe our little Etsy chats!
I too have never heard of Pandora, sounds really interesting, going to check it out.
Perfect photo to add from Beth!

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

I've been a fan of Pandora for some time now. Great site! It often accompanies my computer time.

I love what you are doing with the blog, by the way!

Pam said...

What an interesting post and enjoyable. Pandora often conjures up not so positive images. A real pleasure to read your post and share what you discovered! Thanks! The featured artists are wonderful!